- This portal is for public records requests for the City of San Diego only.
- Records Requests on this portal are public. We suggest that you do not include confidential information such as birthdates or Social Security numbers.
- Requesters’ information is not published on this portal; however, this information is public and may be released in response to a public records request.
- Once you submit your request, you will receive email notifications regarding the status of your request. If you are not receiving the email notifications, check your spam/junk folder.
- You can also log in to NextRequest (https://sandiego.nextrequest.com/users/sign_in) and search for your request.
- You are not required to include a City department when submitting a request, however if you are aware of one or more departments that may have records for your request, you may list them in your request. City staff will assign the request to all applicable departments.
NOTE: It is not necessary to enter the same request multiple times for each applicable department. The City can assign one request to multiple departments.
Tips on submitting focused requests
- Search prior requests on the portal or the documents page for previously published records (https://sandiego.nextrequest.com/documents).
- Be as specific as possible with the types of records that you are requesting.
- Provide a date range for the records you are seeking. For example, from Jan. 1, 2020 to the date of the request.
- List all known departments or employees that may be involved in the subject matter .
If you submit a request without contact information, the portal will not allow you to receive updates for your request and you will not be able to log in to access documents. It will be your responsibility to check the portal for records that are posted publicly on the portal in response to your request. If the City needs clarification on your request in order to respond to your request and you provide no way to contact you, your request may be closed without a response.
Open Data portal (https://data.sandiego.gov/)
Council and Committee Meetings (http://sandiego.granicus.com/ViewPublisher.php?view_id=31)
Official City Records (https://www.sandiego.gov/city-clerk/officialdocs)
Building Records (https://www.sandiego.gov/development-services/records)
Not City of San Diego Records
The following are not records of the City of San Diego. You may contact the agencies identified below for these records.
- Vital Records (Birth, Death, Marriage records): County of San Diego at https://arcc.sdcounty.ca.gov/Pages/recorder.aspx
- Court records (including divorce records): San Diego Superior Court at http://www.sdcourt.ca.gov/
- Property Records (Property tax, real estate ownership records): County of San Diego at https://www.sdttc.com/
- Records for jurisdictions outside of the City of San Diego may be maintained by: County of San Diego (https://www.sandiegocounty.gov/); Sheriff’s Department (https://www.sdsheriff.net/) or individual cities’ website within the County (i.e. Escondido, La Mesa, Vista, El Cajon).