January 4, 2020
Dear Records Custodian,
Under the California Public Records Act (CPRA), I request the following data regarding every police dog bite incident from the calendar year 2014 to present. I request as much of the following information as is kept in a digital format and is readable by a program such as Microsoft Excel, such as a .xlsx or .csv file.
I. For each police dog bite incident, please provide the following data:
- Any and all case numbers
- The date that the dog bite incident occurred
- The time the dog bite incident occurred
- The beat number in which the dog bite incident took place
- Type of location where the dog bite incident occurred
II. Reasons for use of force:
- Whether the Subject was an Active or Passive Resister
- Whether the Subject committed assault, battery or deadly force
- All specific actions of the Subject
- All specific responses of the Involved Officer
- Whether the Watch Commander / ADS recommended an investigation or determined actions were in compliance
III. For each Subject in the dog bite incident, please provide the following data:
- Age / or year of birth
- Whether the Subject was armed
- Specify the type of weapon
- Whether the Subject was injured
- Whether the Subject alleged injury
- Whether the Subject was hospitalized
- Whether the Subject was arrested
- What charges were placed
IV. For each involved officer in the dog bite incident, please provide the following data:
- Age / or year of birth
- Date of appointment
- Unit of Assignment
- Whether the officer was injured
If not publicly available, I also request any department directives related to the use of the police canine unit.
Because I, the requestor, am a journalist, and I seek the information in order to disseminate it to the public, and because the information regards the safety, welfare, and legal rights of the general public, the request meets the definition of “in the public interest.” This request is not for commercial benefit because this request is made by a member of the nonprofit news media whose principal purpose is to access and disseminate information regarding the general public’s interest, safety, welfare, and legal rights. To the extent you intend to assess any charges, please notify me to discuss first.
If you deny any or all of this request, please cite each specific exemption you feel justifies the refusal to release the information and notify me of the appeal procedures available to me under the law.
Thank you for considering my request.