This is a request under the California Public Records Act, Cal. Gov’t Code § 6250 – 6270 (the “Act”), and under the common law right of access. I am making this request in my capacity as a full-time journalist with The Associated Press.
I am seeking copies of video and/or audio recordings related to the deadly confrontation between Officers Jonathan DeGuzman and Wade Irwin and at least one suspect on July 28-29, 2016.
Those video and/or audio recordings should include, but not be limited to, the following sources:
- Body cameras worn by Officers DeGuzman and Irwin;
- Dashboard cameras in the Officers DeGuzman and Irwin’s vehicle;
- Body cameras worn by other officers who pursued and helped capture a male suspect in a ravine near the initial shooting;
- Dashboard cameras in vehicles of other officers who pursued and helped capture a male suspect in a ravine near the initial shooting;
- Radio transmissions from or to DeGuzman, Irwin and other officers who pursued and helped capture a male suspect in a ravine near the initial shooting.
I request that responsive records be released on a rolling basis _ that is, in batches as they are available, rather than all at once and only once all recordings have been reviewed for release.
Though you are required by law to respond within ten (10) business days from the date your Agency receives this request, as this is a matter of pressing public interest and importance, I ask that you expedite this request, which specifies identifiable records that are not exempt from disclosure under the act